Start Talking - Find conversation starters for the group or with a friend
- Pastor Ryan opened with a story about his son, who is in the “Are we there yet?” phase of life, to which Pastor Ryan responds, “We’re on our way.” Are you an “Are We There Yet?” or a “We’re On Our Way” person? How do you think that has affected your own freedom journey?
- We heard this weekend that “We will always go back to our old mentality unless we understand our new identity.” Is your view of yourself defined by past hurts, mistakes, addictions, etc., or by what God says about you? What Scripture passages can you stand on regarding your true identity?
Keep Reading – Read the scripture and ask a question to get the group thinking.
Read these scriptures out loud:
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
- Have you experienced freedom in a certain area of life but then fell back into that same bondage a while later? Based on this verse, what do you need to do to regain that freedom and continue to walk in it?
- Read this passage carefully. Although God wants freedom for every one of His children, He never intended that freedom to only benefit us.
- How can the freedom you’ve already experienced, or the freedom you’re currently walking into, affect those around you?
Keep Talking – Choose questions to create openness.
- The Promise of God
- Pastor Ryan noted that God’s promise for His people is freedom, using the example of the Exodus story.
- Does the example of God delivering His people out of Egyptian bondage resonate with you personally? Do you see any parallels in your life? What does that look like for you?
- The Pattern of Deliverance
- God’s way of freeing His people consists of bringing them out of bondage, through the wilderness, and then leading them into their promised land. As Pastor Ryan noted, we tend to not like the wilderness part of the process, but it’s critical to truly walking in freedom.
- What are some “wilderness” periods in your life that may have been unpleasant but they ultimately helped to develop you so that you could walk in the freedom God provided for you?
- The Pull of Slavery
- Read Exodus 16:3. The Israelites said this after God miraculously delivered them out of Egyptian bondage by parting the sea for them and then destroying Pharaoh’s army.
- Have you ever found yourself acting like the Israelites? Maybe God broke some chains in your life, but during the days and weeks that followed, it just seemed easier to go back into that bondage rather than working to maintain your freedom. What can you do practically to resist the pull of slavery and continue on your journey to freedom?
- The Provision from Heaven
- Even in the wilderness, God provided for His people in 3 distinct ways: daily provision (water & manna), His Presence, and revealing His ways (through the Law).
- Think of a wilderness season you went through or are currently going through: instead of complaining like the Israelites did in wanting to go back into bondage, where can you see God’s presence and provision in your life? What Scripture passages can you cling to as you grow and develop in your own wilderness?
- The Purpose of Freedom
- Pastor Ryan showed us the difference between the world’s & God’s definition of freedom. He said, “Freedom is living life with proper boundaries” – God’s boundaries.
- What has your view of freedom been? Has it been more in line with the world & our culture, or has it been more in line with what God says? What changes (if any) do you need to make?
Keep Moving/Going – Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Is there an area of your life that you haven’t fully submitted to God? If so, there’s a good chance it’s the same area of life in which you’re also experiencing bondage. What does God say about it in His Word? Find out what God says about that in His Word and then apply it to that area of your life.
- Pick one of this week’s key Scripture and make it a reminder in your phone. Spend a few minutes repeating it and thinking about it each day.
- S.O.A.P out the Scripture this week.
- Prayer requests from everyone at group
Want to hear more?
Click here to follow our Spotify playlist