Start Talking - Find conversation starters for the group or with a friend.
- Pastor Tom shared about his coaching experience and how the key to victory was the willingness to prepare to win by working hard. Has there been a time in your life when your willingness to prepare for a difficult situation has yielded a victory? How did you prepare and what were the results?
- Just like every piece of the football uniform has a purpose in fighting the battle to win the game, the Apostle Paul in the Book of Ephesians gives us the winning formula for winning every challenge, struggle, and battle we will have in life through putting on the armor of God. Have you tried to navigate a situation in life without the right equipment? What happened when you didn’t have the right tools, uniform, or equipment?
Keep Reading – Read the scripture and ask a question to get the group thinking.
Ephesians 6:10 – 17
Read this passage concerning the armor of God.
- Which piece of armor do you feel you need to put on most often to be prepared for the battles and struggles in your life?
- Which piece of armor is the most difficult to keep on consistently each day to be prepared for victory in your life?
Pastor Tom’s summary: We must learn to discern SPIRITUAL ATTACK and RESIST with SPIRITUAL WEAPONS.
- Belt of Truth – truth brings freedom and protects from deception (John 8:32)
- Breastplate of Righteousness – protects our identity in Christ (Eph. 1:11, 2:8, Rom. 3:22)
- Gospel of Peace – gives us confidence and direction as we navigate life’s challenges (Phil. 4:7)
- Shield of Faith – protects us from the corruption of our culture (1 Cor. 16:13, 2 Cor. 5:7)
- Helmet of Salvation – guards our minds (Col. 2:8, 2 Cor. 10:5, Rom. 12:2)
- Sword of the Spirit – is the Word of God and will pierce the darkness of deception (Heb. 4:12).
- Prayer – Pray about anything and everything (Phil 4:6, James 5:16)
John 10:10 – “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.”
Eph 3:20 – “Now to Him Who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.”
- We were reminded that when the thief (devil) comes against us, we need to stand in the strength of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit in us and allow His power to be integrated into every dimension of our lives because we aren’t strong enough on our own. (Ephesians 3:20).
- What are some areas where you’ve experienced the devil working to steal, kill, and bring destruction in your life? Describe a time when the Holy Spirit did more than you asked or imagined through His power working in you.
Keep Talking – Choose questions to create openness.
Pastor Tom coached us in how to prepare to have victory in our battles.
- AFFIRM who we are IN CHRIST.
- Pastor Tom talked about how his identity used to be football player or coach. What are some ways that you can affirm your identity in Christ and not according to culture?
- STAND FIRM in HIS TRUTH.
- The Word of God is the true and eternal foundation of our lives. Pastor Tom reminded us that we have a “carry permit” for the Word of God. What are practices you’ve implemented in your life to stay in His Word.
- PRAY empowered by the HOLY SPIRIT.
- ASK the Holy Spirit to DIRECT and EMPOWER your prayers
- PRAY the WORD OF GOD
- PRAY for and with GOD’S PEOPLE
Keep Moving/Going – Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Keep attending your Freedom Group and allow the Holy Spirit to set you free from what’s been holding you back from living the abundant John 10:10 life that Jesus made available to you.
- Pick one of this week’s key Scripture and make it a reminder in your phone. Spend a few minutes repeating it and thinking about it each day.
- S.O.A.P out the Scripture this week.
- Prayer requests from everyone at group
Want to hear more?
Click here to follow our Spotify playlist