Start Talking - Find conversation starters for the group or with a friend
- Pastor Todd shared a story when he unexpectedly received first-class upgrades on a flight. Is there a time in your life when you unexpectedly received something great that you knew you didn’t deserve?
Keep Reading – Read the scripture and ask a question to get the group thinking.
Read these scriptures out loud:
You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly… But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- Do you struggle with believing that people are born with a sin nature? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to you personally that Jesus died for you while you were still a sinner – spiritually dead and separated from God?
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
- The grace of God is so overwhelmingly good and so undeserved. Do you struggle with a performance-based mentality? Is it difficult for you to receive from God based solely on His grace, knowing you can neither earn nor disqualify yourself?
- We see in this passage that grace and faith work together. What is the relationship between grace and faith?
Keep Talking – Choose questions to create openness.
- The symbol of our faith is a cross – not a scale.
- Our faith is based entirely on the finished work of Jesus on the cross, not on our good works outweighing our bad.
- Why do you think this is so hard for many to believe?
- Saving faith is a faith that TRANSFORMS.
- True faith in Jesus changes us from the inside out. Faith is not just intellectual assent – it is belief that changes and impacts how we live.
- Have you placed your faith in Jesus as your Lord and Savior? If so, when and how did that happen? If not, what is holding you back from placing your faith in Jesus?
- We are not saved by works, we are saved for
- Read Ephesians 2:8-10. Notice that we are not saved as “a result of works” but “for good works.” Do you see the difference?
- How does this impact your understanding of faith in Jesus and “works”? Is this different from what you thought before?
Keep Moving/Going – Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- For a great way to gain a perspective on the entire book of Ephesians, click here.
- Pick one of this week’s key Scripture and make it a reminder in your phone. Spend a few minutes repeating it and thinking about it each day.
- S.O.A.P out the Scripture this week.
- Prayer requests from everyone at group
Want to hear more?
Click here to follow our Spotify playlist