Start Talking – Find conversation starters for the group or with a friend.
- Joyce gave many examples of how we can choose excellence in the small, everyday things of life. Name a time that you benefitted from someone else’s excellence.
- What are some examples of excellence at home? In our community? At work/school?
Keep Reading – Read the scripture and ask a question to get the group thinking.
Read these scriptures out loud:
“Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.”
- We should aim to please God in all situations. He will reward us as we remember that we are ultimately serving Him, even while we are serving people.
- What is one area that you find hard to give your best? How might refocusing your intentions help you to be excellent?
Daniel 1:8 and 6:3
- Daniel found favor with those in authority because he chose excellence. He also surrounded himself by friends who chose excellence.
- Do you have friends around you who are encouraging excellence? Do you have friends who are encouraging the wrong attitudes?
Keep Talking – Choose questions to create openness.
Whatever you do behind closed doors is who you really are.
- Are you spending time in the Word and allowing it to change you from the inside out?
- Is there an area that God is asking you to surrender to Him?
- Is there an area in your life that you are lacking in integrity by not doing what you say you are going to do?
The gap between our big vision and our small reality is where God tests us.
- What “big” thing are you asking God for?
- What acts of excellence is God testing you in?
- What areas are you compromising in? Going just a little bit below what you know you should do.
Keep Moving/Going – Commit to a step and live it out this week.
Joyce said that we may have a gift that will get us to where we want to go but that our character will keep us there. She would not have the ministry that she has if she hadn’t learned to put the grocery cart away. How is this challenging you to implement excellence into your everyday?
- Pick one of this week’s key Scriptures and make it a reminder in your phone. Spend a few minutes repeating it and thinking about it each day.
- S.O.A.P out the Scripture this week.
- Prayer requests from everyone at group