Pastor Tom shared about a “secret place” moment he experienced on a trip to Israel. Have you had a “secret place” experience in your life before?
If so, what did you learn about yourself or God through that experience?
- When anxiety chases us, it can drive us to exhaustion. We can find protection and security in the secret place. Read these verses out loud. “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress: My God, in Him I will put my trust.’” Ps. 91:1-2
- Is there something right now in your life that is causing you to feel anxious?
- Pastor Tom admonished us that there is a spiritual nourishment that can only be found in the secret place. Nourishment brings strength. Our source of nourishment is found in Jesus. Read this verse out loud. “I am the vine and you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit, apart from me you can do nothing.”
- Do you desire to feed your spirit as much as you desire to feed your physical body?
- What are some things that you can you do to create an appetite in your life for the secret place?
- You will never know who you really are until you see your reflection in the mirror of the eyes of Jesus. We can find our purpose in the secret place. Read the following verse out loud. “It is in Christ we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ a got our hopes up, he had his eyes on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone.” Ephesians 1:11
- Is there an area in your life where you are struggling with self-doubt?
- Do you have a sense of purpose in your life?
- The secret place is a place where our prayers are heard.
– Is there something or someone that you are praying for specifically right now?
– Is there something or someone that you have stopped praying for because you have given up? Have you stopped believing God will move in that situation or circumstance?
Encourage your faith by reading Psalm 91:15. “He shall call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.”
- The secret place is a place where mystery and wisdom are revealed.
- Is there an area of your life where you need wisdom right now?
Colossians 2:2-3 teaches us that we can find everything that we need in Christ. “My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”
There are active steps that we can take to position ourselves to find the secret place.
- We can find the secret place by finding the right path.
- What are you doing to actively look for the right path?
- We can find the secret place by following the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- Are you seeking and submitting to the leadership of the Spirit in your life?
- We can find the secret place when we are intentionally looking for it. We need to have intention in several specific areas—study, fellowship, prayer, ministry and worship. What goals do you have in place in your life to live intentionally in these areas? Honestly answer the following questions.
- What are your study habits?
- Who do you fellowship with?
- How often do you talk to God?
- Do you take part in ministering to others?
- Do you actively participate in worship? Keep in mind that worship is the posture of your heart. Not necessarily just outward actions. Everything that we do should be flowing out of a heart of worship to our God.
Prayer requests for everyone in the group. Some people may be struggling with issues that were revealed in discussion— anxiety, the need for purpose, the desire for wisdom, etc. This is a good time to pray over those needs.